Cardiomegaly, also known as Enlarged Heart is not a disease, however, a sign of another condition
Under this, an enlarged heart is seen on an imaging test which includes a chest X-ray.
Various other tests are also required to diagnose the condition which is causing your heart to enlarge. You might develop an enlarged heart temporarily because of stress on your body like pregnancy or because of any medical condition including the weakening of the muscles of your heart, heart valve problem, coronary artery disease as well as abnormal heart rhythms.
According to the best heart hospitals in India, various conditions might cause the muscle of your heart to thicken itself or one of the chambers of the heart to dilate which eventually makes your heart look larger.
Depending upon the condition, an enlarged heart could be temporary or permanent. Heart enlargement treatment is possible after the diagnosis of the same. In most of the cases, an enlarged heart could be treated by correcting the cause of such condition.
The treatment of an enlarged heart mostly includes medication or medical procedure like surgery.
The best heart hospitals in India have laid down the following symptoms of an enlarged heart:
● Shortness of breath
● An abnormal rhythm of the heart
● Edema or swelling.
Sometimes, an enlarged heart doesn’t come with any kind of signs or symptoms at all.
When to consult a doctor?
An enlarged heart is very easy to treat when it is detected early. Thus, you must always have a word with your doctor on experiencing any kind of concerns about the overall health of your
heart. If you are suffering from any signs or symptoms which are related to your heart, you must make an appointment with your doctor at once. Seeking emergency medical care is strictly recommended when you are experiencing any of these signs:
● Discomfort in the areas of the upper body such as back, arms, neck, stomach or jaw.
● Severe shortness in breath
● Chest pain
Heart enlargement treatment is possible only after the diagnosis of the problem. If you are facing the symptoms of the heart problem, your doctor will carry out a physical exam and order
various tests in order to determine if your heart is enlarged and to also find the cause behind the condition of such enlargement of your heart. The tests may include the following:
● Chest X-ray will help your doctor examine the condition of your lungs and heart.
● Electrocardiogram that records the electrical activity of your heart by the way of electrodes attached on to your skin.
● Echocardiogram which is used for diagnosing as well as monitoring an enlarged heart by making the use of sound waves that produce a video image of your heart.
● Stress test
● CT Scan as well as MRI
● Blood tests to check the levels of various substances in your blood which might point out to your heart problem.
● Cardiac catheterization and biopsy where a thin tube is inserted in your groin and treated via the blood vessels of your heart where a small biopsy of your heart is carried out.