The liver is the largest internal organ of the human body; it contains many juices and enzymes. You can also say that the liver is the human body’s own chemical processing plant as it performs various metabolism processes. Due to the metabolism process that takes place in the liver helps the body to be in its best condition. If there are any interruptions in the regular functioning of the liver it may cause trouble in the complete digestive system. Disorders in the liver may vary from mild disorders to severe disorders. Mild to severe disorders can be treated through medicines or other methods but in conditions where medication is not possible, liver transplant surgery has to be carried out.
Liver transplant surgery is a complex surgical procedure based on the process to remove a diseased or injured liver and replace it with a healthy one. A healthy liver is donated a deceased or a living donor. Liver transplant surgery is carried out when there is no other alternative left to treat the liver. Liver transplant surgery has an amazingly positive impact when it is end-stage liver disease or serious liver failure.
When it is required?
The liver is a crucial organ in the body and performs badly because of diseases or injury. When the liver is affected it shows some symptoms ranging from colour, changes in the colour of skin or simply bleeding. If you don’t take care of the symptoms on time then the issues can accelerate up to total liver failure, these complications can lead to death. Down below we have mentioned some of the scenarios where liver transplantation becomes crucial.
- Acute liver failure: acute liver failure occurs unexpectedly, in this case, the patient doesn’t have any history of liver disease and symptoms develop speedily. This may also occur due to viral infection or toxins or any deadly injury.
- Chronic liver failure: liver can repair itself against any reaction or injury. But frequent injury and scars can affect the liver and final stage of scarring is known as cirrhosis which is a stage where the liver cannot repair itself. Once a person reaches a stage of cirrhosis he/she will experience poor liver function. Prescribed medications will fail to cure the disease but can lessen the symptoms. Liver transplantation is the only permanent cure.
Different causes of liver failure:
- Alcohol abuse
- Fatty liver
- Metabolic diseases
- Bile duct disease
- Fatty liver
Symptoms and signs of liver problems:
- Weight loss
- Loos in appetite
- Easily bleeding
- Passing of black stools
- Swelling in the abdomen
Liver transplantation surgery should be opted when one’s liver cannot function fully. If the liver stops functioning it requires a liver transplant. Before liver transplant takes place various examinations are carried out like x-rays or blood tests. A final decision is also made by the doctors to make a decision that whether the patient would benefit from the surgery or not. If you are wondering why a final decision is made because not all the patients are suitable to undergo liver transplantation procedure, therefore it would not benefit the patient.
Procedure for liver transplantation:
Liver transplantation takes place as soon as the suitable donor is identified after following proper tests. If the donor is living surgery for both of them takes place at the same time whereas if the donor is deceased then the surgery will happen when the liver reaches the hospital. Following steps take place when the surgery happens:
- The first step that the surgeon performs is incision.
- After this surgeon examines the abdomen for the defects, that would defect liver transplantation.
- Mobilization of the native liver is carried out.
- The surgeon separates the imperative structures after the mobilization of the native liver.
- The diseased liver is removed.
- A new liver is sewed by making sure that bleeding is in control.
- The Incision is closed.
Cost of liver transplantation
Cost of liver transplantation is quite affordable in India than the other counties. There are top cancer treatment hospitals in India as well as there is various best liver transplant hospital in Delhi. India offers the best treatments when it comes to curing cancer or liver transplantation.